Once upon a time, Phone books, particularly the yellow pages, were the way consumers searched for, and found, local businesses.
Today, even those industries that have historically been the most “yellow page” dependent, are moving online.
White Pages = NOT Optimized for Search
As a refresher, the white pages included all of the local listings – personal, as well as commercial – in alphabetical order by name.
If you already knew the name of the business you were looking for, you could find its listing (address and phone number) in the white pages.
In today’s world of search engines, having a website that is not optimized for search, is like being listed only in the white pages. If the searcher already knows about your company, and is searching for it specifically, he/she will be able to find you.
However, if the searcher of old was unaware of your business, but looking for the services that you offered, your business needed to be included in the yellow pages to be found.
Yellow Pages = Optimized for Search
The yellow pages were (and still are) organized by categories that you could select to be listed under – for marketing, the categories might include Marketing, Advertising, Internet Marketing, etc. Within each category, participating businesses were listed alphabetically, but could be optimized for better results.
Yellow Page optimization included bolding your listing, adding ads with images or photos, adding larger ads, adding color print to your listing or ad, and finally, the ultimate in yellow pages optimization, naming your business A-1 your service – as the business at the top of the listings received more clicks. . . um, er . . .calls.
Search Engine Optimization
Don’t let the misinformation, misunderstandings, and overly dramatic headlines about SEO confuse you. SEO . . .
- . . . is not dead
- . . . should not be changed to “conversion optimization”
- . . . has not been replaced by social media marketing
- . . . has not been replaced by content marketing
It’s simple, if you want your business to be found in today’s Yellow Pages – the search engines – SEO is the solution!
Learn about our Advisor SEO services.
Latest posts by Brent Carnduff (see all)
- Real Estate SEO: Setting the Foundation for Local SEO (Google Maps) Success - July 26, 2017
- 10 Tips to Choosing a Domain Name for Your Real Estate Business - June 9, 2017
- The Challenges of SEO for Real Estate - December 12, 2016
- Developing a Digital Real Estate Agency: Update #1 - October 29, 2016
- I don’t want to be a Secret Agent - August 14, 2016